Multiple choice question offers several choices with more than just one correct options.
This question type is best used for checking knowledge on a series of facts or procedures that have more than one reasonable choices.
How to create a multiple choice question in Easygenerator
- Select the multiple choice question from the left-hand panel and add it to a section.
- Add a question title and instruction (tip: specify how many answers should be chosen).
- Fill in the answer options. Click the ‘Add answer option’ button to create more options. Mark the correct responses.
- Create feedback for correct and incorrect answers.
- Optional: add a voice-over, consider enabling the survey mode.
Tips for writing good multiple choice questions
- The question instruction should be meaningful and state a specific problem that focuses on the learning objective.
- In the question instruction, specify how many answers should be chosen.
- Do not use negative phrases unless absolutely necessary. They confuse the learners.
- Use 3-5 alternatives per question. Research shows that three-choice items are about as effective as four or five-choice items, mainly because it is difficult to come up with plausible distractors. More than 5 alternatives may be confusing.
- Make sure the distractors are credible and realistic, otherwise the correct answers will be too evident.
- Avoid clues to the correct answers.
- Keep the options parallel, of similar length and have consistent grammar.
- Avoid using alternatives like ‘all of the above and ‘none of the above’.