XLIFF may sound complex, but in fact, this is just a file format. XLIFF stands for XML Localization Interchange File Format and it’s an industry standard for the localization of content.
So when there are courses that should be available in multiple languages, you’re going to love this new feature as it’s a great time-saver.
Using XLIFF, you or your co-authors can export all the course texts into a XLIFF 1.2 file in just one click, and then easily import the file once it’s been translated. A new course is created in this case and all your original texts are replaced by the translated text. It's as easy as that!
Individual users, as well as large organizations, can find it very useful when it comes to the localization of your learning content.
Translating your courses and content using professional translators, agencies or services?
XLIFF 1.2 is an industry standard for translations and localization, that means most of the translation tools and professional translators regularly work with it, which guarantees a smooth translation process.
And what if the courses should be translated by fellow coworkers?
There is a bunch of tools you can find on the internet that allow editing XLIFF files easily, like Lokalise.
Here’s how it works in Easygenerator:
- For example, a course is created in English and let’s say it should be translated into Spanish, French, and German.
- Authors or co-authors can download all the texts in an XLIFF file.
- The XLIFF file should be sent to your translators or coworkers who are willing to help.
- Once the translations are done, 3 XLIFF files (one for each language) will be provided.
- Now authors can easily import these 3 files in Easygenerator, so Spanish, French and German versions of the course are automatically created.
NOTE: XLIFF import will fail if you try to upload an unchanged file. Please make sure your file is translated before uploading it back to Easygenerator.
- Since there are separate courses for each language - authors can tweak those courses by changing English assets (images, video and audio assets, voice-overs, attached documents) with Spanish, French and German replacements. It can be used to adapt the media content and can be extremely useful to meet different regional requirements, laws, and legislation in different countries.
- Translating courses into different languages could mean that the content becomes shorter or longer. With Easygenerator you can relax since all Easygenerator courses are responsive and optimized to work on any device, whether that’s a mobile device, tablet or desktop. Easygenerator users can be sure that the localized content will be automatically adjusted to fit any language on any device.
Sounds like magic, right? Yeah, we like that as well!
To summarize, the XLIFF import/export feature provides you with the following benefits:
- Send text content from a course to your translators in a single file, and then receive translations that can be easily used to create localized versions of the course.
- Tweak your content independently for each language to meet cultural and legal requirements in different parts of the world.
- Focus on the content, as Easygenerator automatically makes sure your localized content looks great on any device, thanks to its modern responsive and adaptive design.
The XLIFF import/export is the Enterprise plan feature.